YouTube is the world’s most trending online video site, with over 800 million users visiting it each month. The success story of YouTube is completely amazing & fascinating. Today, in this article we bring to you the story of YouTube & its huge success.
Just like Google, eBay, and Microsoft, YouTube is also an invention that originated from a garage. YouTube was registered or established in the year 2005 & was founded by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim. The founders of YouTube initially met at an online giant company PayPal during their professional career.
Apparently, one night while the three were working, they became frustrated while trying to email a video clip. It was at that point in time that the idea of a video sharing platform clicked to them. Initially, the founders were short of money to formally launch the company, but after securing funds of nearly over $ 3.5 million from Sequoia Capital and an additional $8 million during April 2006, they were able to keep the servers going. Later in that year, the YouTube trademark domain name was also registered on Feb 14th, 2005 and the site went live in May. Very soon YouTube became a huge hit & was viral all over the world.
The invention of the YouTube site spread across by mere word of mouth that initially fuelled its growth. They encouraged viral marketing through this platform which simply increased the number of users & viewers on this site over the period of time. It was amazing that YouTube had not spent even a rupee on its promotion but still, it managed to grab the audience’s eyeballs.
They smartly managed to make the audience on the site to do the promotion themselves. They cleverly used the idea of viral marketing by simply making it possible to embed the links of the video on YouTube to various social networking sites. The rise of Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and other social networks has to lead to the immense growth of YouTube by sharing the online video. This, in turn, created a huge buzz on various internet platforms & got them the much-needed publicity.
But the growth of the company was never too easy. The company had to face its share of problems in terms of copyright problems that had to be dogged by the company in many ways through various laws. But today one of the major factors of YouTube’s growth is the huge amount of copyright material that gets uploaded, published & advertised on the site.
Speaking about the success of YouTube the following statistics are enough to show how huge was the success of YouTube.
- Each day 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute or 30000 hours of content is uploaded each month or one hour of video is uploaded on to YouTube every second.
- There are over 4 billion videos that are viewed by viewers on a daily basis.
- There are approximately 800 million users visiting YouTube each month and the numbers are still increasing heavily to date.
- Believe it or not, but over 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube.
- YouTube has been localized in 39 countries across 54 different languages.
- In 2011, YouTube had approximately 1 trillion views.
- In fact, in the year 2011, there were almost 140 views for each person on Earth.
- Statistic calculations prove that over 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute.
- There are quite 500 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link.
- About 500 years of YouTube video are watched every day on Facebook.
- An approximate of millions of subscriptions are done each day on YouTube.
- Almost Millions of videos are favorited every day on YouTube.
Well, needless to say much, these statistics themselves prove the popularity & the success of YouTube. The story of YouTube is inspiring. It clearly shows how an idea can lead to great inventions.